Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with KATE Wainaina (Miss Commonwealth)

KATE

Make Way…world

Here come smiles on tiaras. Kate speaks to Tony Nabiliki

How was the feeling when you were announced winner? Emerging first among a bevy of other beauties to clinch the Miss Commonwealth crown?
First of all I could not believe my ears. For a moment there I thought that maybe the judges had made a mistake. I think it is because this was my first time being involved in pageantry or even modeling on the runway in general.

What do you think made you steal the show?
I think it had something to do with my confidence. I kept on a smile throughout the competition. Don’t be mistaken…, that is not as easy as it sounds. I think this fact particularly made the judges concentrate more on me. All the other girls were extremely beautiful so the challenge was enormous.

What are the chances of you coming home with the coveted Miss Universe crown?
I am very optimistic about it and I think I am ready to go. I know that I have got what it takes to hack it. But the final decision lies with the judges.

Tell us a bit about your background, growing up and schooling?
I was born and bred in Nyandarua at a small town called Nyahururu. That’s where I did my primary school, that was at Starehe Primary School. After that I went to St. Angelic Secondary School in Meru for my O-levels. Then I joined Daystar University in 2004 where I’m currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in community development.

This might be cliché but still… If you are crowned Miss Commonwealth World what are the main activities you would focus on?
I would focus on the things that mainly affect women, such as domestic violence, rape, and the prevailing inequality in various components of society. I would also speak out compellingly on the issue of unemployment among the youth in the country. The other thing of similar importance is charity; because I believe that one can never go wrong with giving especially to the less fortunate in society.

Do you have any strategies you plan to unearth during the forthcoming pageant?
I plan on doing my best in representing my country and that basically entails being outgoing, attentive, confident and proud of where I come from. The rest will just flow flawlessly and by the time I come back they will know that a Kenyan was there.

Can you talk about some of the preparation that you guys have to go through before the D-day of a pageant? Is it enjoyable or draining?
It includes eating healthy, which in essence means avoiding oily junk, cat-walk training, beauty lessons where you are given tit bits on how to do your own make-up. We are also trained on how to approach and answer the questions. If one does not have a passion for modeling then it can be very draining to them. But if you enjoy doing it like I do… then it is loads of fun.

What is your greatest fear?
Failure… that scares me to the bone.

What has been the most significant accomplishment in your life? Why?
Having been able to reach campus level in my education and also being a model. What I am majoring in at the University is very much related to me being a beauty queen, plus I am doing what I love the most.

Do you consider yourself to be a giver or a taker?
I am a giver. I give a lot to the needy and trust me… I have never lacked anything.

In your own words, at what point in life do you think a girl becomes a woman?
I believe that the transition occurs the moment a girl discovers herself and realizes exactly what she wants for herself in life.

What else are you involved in apart from the world of glam and fashion?
Charity. On a normal day, you would find me at an orphanage having fun times with the kids.

What trait(s) in a guy would definitely have your heart racing?
He has to be hot! Intelligent, have a nice taste in clothes, a well arranged dental formula and a nice smile. Oh… and a nice cologne.

Personally, are you fascinated by the Bad Boy Image? Why?
It goes fifty fifty for me. What I like about them is that they are not pretenders; they do not put on an act of being too sweet, or too gentlemanly. No offence to the ‘too suave’.

Do you have a particular exercise or dieting regimen? Care to share?
Yes. I exercise in the house with a lot with aerobics videos, eat cereals for breakfast and take lots of water. Instead of fries for lunch, I eat fruits.

The festive season is just around the corner, any special plans?
I want to spend it with my family and my close friends at my house. I have always gone upcountry for Christmas.

Which holiday spots would you recommend to someone either within or outside the country? Why?
Maasai Mara. It is in Kenya of course and it is the most beautiful place to go on a trip.

What is the best relationship advice you can give to a friend?
Learn to forgive and forget, and most importantly, always be yourself.

Are you the superstitious kind?
Definitely not

Are you a noisy or quiet kind of girl?
At times I can be unbelievably quiet but then at other times I can be really noisy. It all depends on the context.

What about your personality do you think makes you more noticeable
I am very focused and ambitious

At the end of your reign, how would you love to be remembered?
As someone who was true to herself, fair to all and a helper everytime she was required to lend a hand.

No comments: