Monday, June 9, 2008

Sato @ Dance Africa



Bustn’ Moves

Last Sato, when Harambee Stars were having a sunny picnic on the Guinean’s behinds, KICC had a dance competition that among other things, made me realize just how old I had become. Made me realize that a couple of weeks more and I’ll be a “youth” no more, but a “pseudo-youth” like half our legislative assembly members. (Only in Kenya can you blurt out on your 55th birthday... “We, the young generation”...)

For a moment when Zach and I arrived at KICC, we thought the by-elections were being held there. Throngs (hope I didn’t miss the R this time round) had turn up to see the finest dance crews battle it out for hard cash. Had to scurry carefully and fast to the entrance just incase the Kids got excited and unleashed a human avalanche. The whole of KICC grounds was full of animated youngsters waiting to get into the Plenary hall... the crowd had spilled to City hall... I wondered where all of them were going to fit coz the Hall was already packed to capacity. Cops in riot gear had to be called in when the rest of the crowd turned nasty after been asked to go home... (Makes you wonder, why they didn’t organize the compe at the KICC grounds instead)

Anyway... back to the dance thingy, these kids made KTN’s dance 360 look like.... I don’t know... CRAP? (Maybe I am giving them too much credit but they were damn good!!)

Hip hop dancing at its best, complete with those “spin on the floor” moves that Shaba-Doo used to pull back in the day.... The winners, Dashy Crew... a group of three lads and a young lassie walked away with a cool 5,000 dollars from Malta Guinness and a slot in the continental contest. Had to chuck out fast and hit Wairimu’s... where my peers bust slower moves to slower music and transform to hardihood attitude as the night progresses.

(pics to follow)

No comments: