Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Tonnie speaks to Jason Dunford (September 2007)


Jason Dunford

You guys have literally turned the page on Kenya’s swimming; it will never be the same again. How does it make you feel?

It feels great but my work is far from finished. What you have seen so far is only the beginning. I hope to continue with my career and bring more glory to Kenya but on top of that I want to see good young swimmers coming through and developing their talents to become the stars of tomorrow. This is something to which I hope to give more time and energy in future years.

How are you handling the adulations and excitements from your performances at the African games?

It has been rather overwhelming but I am beginning to get used to being recognized in public. The media support for Kenyan sportspeople in recent times has been phenomenal and I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks

Any limelight away from the pool? Do people come over to you guys for autographs and things like that?

I have signed a few autographs here and there as well as the occasional photo opportunity. People tend to recognize me more often when I am with my brother as they tend to couple the two of us together.

Did you have a hunch that you would do as well as you did in the tourney?

Well, I knew I had prepared well and was in good shape, having done a lot of hard training at my base in the US, so I went into the competition expecting at least a couple of medals. However to win 8 was beyond anything I had imagined. Things really fell into place. The final night of competition, when I managed to pick up three medals, was one of the best sessions of swimming in my career to date.

How do you cope with the pressure of a big competition especially the finals?

I try to stay as relaxed as possible and this has become easier over time as I have learnt to control my emotions. I make sure I arrive at the pool early, about one and a half hours before my first race, and get in a good warm up (about 2000 metres). I will practice a few sprints, then dry off, confident my body is ready to race. About 15 minutes before my race I put on my racing suit and make sure it is comfortable. I then try and find the mental zone that I know enables me to race fast.

Tell us about your early swimming days. How did you start and who influenced you?

My father was a big influence and started my brothers and me swimming at a very young age. I swam in my first competition at the age of five. At age eight I represented the Kenya junior team in Zambia and I returned to this competition every year until I was 13. I won over 20 medals at these competitions during this time. My coach from the age of 6 to 13 was Andrew Nderu, and he was the one who really developed my swimming talent. At age thirteen, I went to boarding school in the UK to a place called Marlborough College. It was there where I met a coach called Peter O’Sullivan. He himself had been an international swimmer in the early 1990s representing Great Britain at several major competitions including Commonwealth Games and European Championships. He spotted my ability and sat me down, explaining that with the right training I could go somewhere in the sport. I thus decided to give up the other sports I was playing (cricket, rugby, hockey, squash) to concentrate on swimming. My brother, David and I trained together at the school for 2 years, doing early morning session before class and coming back in the afternoon as well. Soon we began to see improvement and in 2005 I won 5 golds and silver at the South African Junior Nationals (Level 3).

Do you think good swimmers are born or made?

Certain people have more talent for swimming than others but a lot of training is still required. Thus I would say it is a combination of talent and hard work but hard work is the over riding factor.

Take us through your training routine and diet?

Mon: 6.30-8.15 amàswim, 2.30-5.30pm dry land training followed by swim

Tue: 2.30-5.30pm stretch followed by swim

Wed: 6.30-8.15 am swim, 2.30-4.00pm- swim

Thu: 2.30-5.30pm swim

Fri: 6.30-8.15am swim, 2.30-5.30pmà dry land training followed by swim

Sat: 7.30-9.30am swim

Sun: rest

DietàFor breakfast- Scrambled with bacon, a bowl of uji and some fruit. For lunch- salad or sandwich with some chicken usually. Pasta on occasion as well. For dinner- some sort of meat, chicken or fish, potatoes, vegetables.

Do you find it burdensome, juggling school and sports?

At times it can be but I get amazing support from my parents, girlfriend and teammates. They are always available to reassure me when I doubt myself and that really helps me to get through the rough patches. You also learn ways to adapt and prioritize your time. However it does take a lot of discipline and determination.

What are you studying at Stanford?

Human Biology (major, with a concentration in environmental science and public health) and Kiswahili (minor).

Are there any special sides of swimming that you can highlight to us (lay-men) so we can use to know if a swimmer is racing well or poorly?

It is all in relation to that swimmer’s best time in that event. In a major competition a swimmer will always be looking for a best time so that is how you can tell if they have swum well (if they get the time!!)

Any pleasant surprises awaiting Kenyans in the coming Olympics?

In swimming? We shall see. World swimming is very strong outside of Africa but I am currently 6th in the world in the 100 metres butterfly. Thus I will really be gunning to make the final and once there who knows… everyone in the final has a shot at a medal.

No comments: