Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with Derrick (Survivor Africa)


Once a Derrick, Always a Survivor

We know him as one of the 12 who scoured the wilds of Pearl Island in a quest to return home $100,000 dollars richer.
But most people don’t know that Derrick Assetto who represented Kenya in Survivor Africa is actually a gentle giant, easy to talk to and a lot of fun to be around. He speaks to Anthony Nabiliki, pointing out the intrigues of Survivor Africa and his journey through life.

Describe for us the Derrick before Survivor Africa…
Just the typical guy next door, trying to do his thing. I was doing some modeling and acting. Derrick was basically a guy doing his best to break into the industry.

Had you ever pictured yourself to be at the Pearl Island in Panama, at some point in your life fighting it out with 11 other people for $100,000?
Frankly… I didn’t know about Pearl Island. The first time I actually thought it was the Pearl Harbour in Hawaii. When I was initially short-listed I still wasn’t sure that I would be picked. I never dwell on the negative, so I did not dismiss the possibility that I wouldn’t make it, although I was a little intimidated after seeing the guys I was up against. But I knew for me to have been short-listed this guys must have seen something in me, so I resolved to give it my all. After I was chosen I felt like a winner all through and said to myself…Derrick, have fun.

Hypothetically, lets say you won the cash… tell us three things you would have definitely spent it on?
I was going to give ten percent of it to a charity… it’s an Aids Orphans Charity. I would buy myself a house or a couple of houses since I believe you can always count on a house as a good asset. Then the rest of cash I would invest in various other ventures

Is reality TV the real deal or what we see is manufactured to suit our taste?
Talking about the Survivor series specifically, if it were aired live and uncut, viewers would actually be scared. Survivor is in reality rougher and meaner than what people get to see. What you get to see is the more polite sections when we were just chilling, arguing, planning something, the games, the trial council, but the bit in between is mean. You do not want to see the image of people who have gone hungry for nine days straight… it’s crazy. So what is seen is a bit polite.

What’s the most extreme thing you did at the island?
Eating snails. I remember there is a time when I nearly fought with someone because he’d eaten my snail. I remember one morning we were sleeping in our shack, and it had rained heavily the previous night. Then a snake was just slithering past, about two meter from where I was. So someone shouted, Derrick, a snake! So we are looking at the snake and the first thing Jaime asks… is it edible? It goes to show that it reaches a point when things like fear are replaced by more important and basic life needs, like food.

Could you spill the beans on any scorching details we didn’t get to see on TV? Like some hook ups we didn’t get to know about? Starting with yourself?
Of course… why not. I was so close to Tebby, really good friends me and her, some people hated us for that. We still keep in touch up to now. In fact the other day she called me and told me she was taking her mum to the UK for holiday. Leonard had a thing with Nike. Although she was so conservative thinking about what her folks would say if they saw her do anything. Ario was just crazy about everybody… her hormones went haywire, that’s why she hated everybody. Jeremy had a thing with Frieda, they were close. Nana was a player to the core. Yaga had a thing with Meti, they still have something going on and they keep in touch a lot. Survivor is a family show so some stuff just had to be kept under wraps.

What is the principal lesson you learnt at Survivor Africa
Never take life for granted. I have learnt to appreciate what I have in life. I might sleep hungry but at least I have a roof over my head and that is enough. I’ve also learnt never to give up.

You had a stint in a movie. Tell us about that?
It was a German movie called African Mourna Amor', which I was involved in after Survivor Africa. I was one of the Sedan carriers. It was shot in 3 months, in Samburu, Amboseli, Tsavo, Lamu, Nyeri then Nairobi. I am trying to look for some more acting jobs here and there. It is a bit hard in Kenya because you have to do it on your own, we don’t have agents. You have to hustle on your own.

People have always been talking about your distinct similarity to Djimon Hounsou, has this had any effect in your life or career?
Djimon Hounsou and I actually do look alike. I remember one time when I used to live in the UK, and AMISTAD was premiering; I got preferential treatment and ate at a restaurant for free, because they thought I was him. When I travel abroad many people still mistake me for him. It a nice thing though. Being a stuntman I might land a role as his double in a movie someday, you never know.

Which other countries have you been to?
I have traveled a lot. I’ve been to all the east African countries, a number of times to South Africa, I lived in England for ten years and came back in 2002, I’ve been to Spain, Scotland, Ireland, Costa Rica and to Panama during and after Survivor Africa.

All these other countries compared to Kenya, can you assert that our country is actually beautiful?
Kenya stands out as the best. As Kenyans we should be very proud of our country. It is a real jewel.

What are you mainly involved in presently?
Mainly modeling mainly AD campaigns, and acting. Am in the process of starting up a company in line with what I am doing right now. I want to take advantage of my status right now and try to make it bigger.

Given your personality and present status in the public realm, do you ever get advances from ladies?
Enough… oh yes enough. Unfortunately I am not as smooth as I would wish to be. So quite a number of such opportunities just slide by

Are you in a relationship?
At the moment, it is not that strong, but we are working on something more tangible, then I might be able to say I am in a relationship.

What are your strongest points?
I am a very confident person sometimes people perceive it as arrogance. I started traveling outside the country since I was 17 so I’ve learnt never to belittle myself or succumb to any form of inferiority complex.

Facts about Derrick

Favourite food
Chapatti and Madondo (beans)

Favourite colour
Brown and Baby blue

Fashion style
Authentic African with a bit of western touch to it

Favourite drink
Milk

Favorite Music
Garage, Rock, Classical jazz and Afro Fusion

Favorite Movie
I love thriller movies, I never watch horror movies and I hate romantic movies.

Keeping fit
The gym four days a week and a lot of swimming

Biggest hero
My Mum. Raising two boys and especially me, the hard head

Biggest extravagance
Traveling

Biggest fantasy
Become a force to reckon with in the movie industry, locally and internationally

No comments: