Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with Esther Passaris JUNE 2007

Esther Passaris

Driven by a rare and admirable passion to make and witness positive change, Esther Passaris has over the years proven that with the appropriate elements and the required drive it is indeed possible for one person to better the lives of millions. She speaks to HFM’s Anthony Nabiliki on herself, her vision and the road she has had to follow to become the successful businesswoman that she is today; plus some wise words to the budding in the business world.

What can you say are your strongest characteristics?

My ability to, not only equate solutions to problems but to also commit to them. Hardworking, focused and sincere.

What bred the idea for adopt a light and give us a short preview of the success story?

There was a problem in lighting and I found a solution through the Adopt A Light concept. This not only required dedication and pulling together of my resources but also required esteem and total dedication of all the time and energy I had which was a lot given that I am a single parent. The projects also came with its own challenges; which I had to and continue to deal with to achieve the objective of a lit city. The ability to convince clients to adopt lights was not enough it also required us to deliver, which is becoming increasingly difficult given the breaches by our partners. That’s why we have to put up a brave fight and we hope that when it is all over we shall still have brands that are proud to be associated with the project.

Tell us a little bit about the “Be one in a Million campaign”

The slums of Kenya need a lot of attention. Adopt a light took me into the slums and I realized that they need a lot more than just security. As advertising in the slums is not appealing to the various brands we needed to not only find an alternative source of funding but also find one that would see us address more then lighting. Adopt A Light and I are the founders of the Driving Kenya foundation where I have 9 other women whom I invited to be trustees and I look forward to firstly getting the one million supporters and then putting together the board of advisors, elders, agents, friends; all with the view to attaining our target a billion shillings for slum upgrading monthly. We need all the help we can get from Kenyans who care to make a difference because they either hate the poverty or care to make a difference because they know that poverty is detrimental to the future well-being of them and their own.

What are some of the challenges facing women business leaders including yourself?

The lack of support and goodwill majority of our leaders for women in business and of course the idea that a woman is good only for small business resulting to a lack of access to funding for big projects.

What do you do to ensure employee satisfaction?

I believe that a job in itself should give an employee satisfaction and motivation. You either have it or you don’t.

Being a mum is a full time job in its own right, how do you juggle between that and being a CEO?

Not easy but I try not to work weekends or take a holiday with the kids every three months as I don’t believe working for the children is enough reason not to be there for them. They see, hear and learn every day and if a parent is not careful before you know it you have strangers in the house. I fear that, and that’s why it is important that I am around them and if I cant then I leave them to my mother, my best friends who are also the godparents so they get the guidance needed to be good souls.

What drives you to work hard?

The future of my children and loved ones, the way I see it I have to be part of the process to make our country and our world a better place.

Do you have any people who have been an inspiration to your life and career?

Wangari Maathai and Rosa Parks for believing in something and going for it, Princess Diana for eliminating barriers between the classes and Nelson Mandela and Mother Teresa for sacrificing for others.

What do you do during your ‘me time’ when you are not busy working?

I don’t have much “me time” at the moment but that’s the price I have to pay for having big dreams. One day maybe I will find the “me time”. I am a mother and a public servant for now.

What is your vision for Adopt a Light?

Being a public quoted company and offering all round solutions for insecurity

Any advice for young ladies who are getting into the world of business?

Believe in yourselves and if you fail, try again and again and don’t be scared to change course at any time in your lives. Life is short and it’s got to be meaningful. Don’t limit yourselves you are children of God and you can achieve anything you set your mind on with effort and the right mix of ingredients.

No comments: