Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with Shamilla. Miss Kenya 2006

SHAMILLA KHADIJA KIPTOO

A BEAUTY ON A MISSION

The reigning Miss Kenya is stunningly beautiful and yet so down to earth you would think you have known her all your life. Besides not being preoccupied by her glam, she is driven by a genuine passion to effect change and make the world a better place. She talks to HFM about her reign and the love she has for her family

Take us back to Khadija before clinching the title, how can you describe her in a few words?

I have always been a typical girl, the everyday ‘girl-next-door’ type. I was a customer care representative in a communication company here in Nairobi. Khadija has always been concerned with the everyday life issues that plague us and I’ve always been driven by a heartfelt urge to try and change the ills.

Has being in the reign changed you in any way? If yes, How?

I would say yes. Because I was kind of a tomboy (laughs). Although I had done some modeling before, I never quite took it seriously. Right now I know how to represent myself better. I have done a lot of growing up and have the confidence to face different groups of people and articulately put across my issues.

What do you think made you stand out from the rest and take the crown?

Everyone was tall and really pretty. So I guess my personality bailed me out. I am a very sociable person

Many people know Shamilla, the Miss Kenya, what else do you do?

I am involved in a lot of charities. I’d love o see smiles everywhere that is why I have seen the reason why we should have poor children and the orphans suffering. So I am happy to be part and parcel of changing all that.

You’ve been listed among other prominent entertainment figures as a top Muslim celebrity in the Answers.com wikipedia, how does that make you feel?

It makes me feel happy to be noticed and really honored. And maybe to try and change a wrong perception held about Islam.

What is love in your own words?

Deep understanding and caring about other people. Wanting to know how they are doing and how you can help to keep them happy

Are you in love?

(Laughs) I am in love with my mum, my family and my country Kenya. But I am not in any intimate relationship with a particular person

How do you plan to spend your Valentines Day?

I am planning a charity dinner to be held on that day. It is in aid of New-Life community center, a feeding programme that we aim will grow to cater for more than just the nutritional needs of the orphans. I am very optimistic about it.

Since becoming Miss Kenya, what have been your major accomplishments so far?

One overriding accomplishment is for me making my siblings know that whatever you put to heart and believe you can achieve, you can do it. As long as you work hard for it

What do you love to indulge in during your free time?

Me and my mum like to gossip about a lot of things, and I mean a lot of things (Laughs). I also love watching movies and sports. I am a sports lover. I am not the wild kind so I don’t go out much and opt to chill out at home most of the time.

Describe a perfect romantic night out?

My best choice will be the Malewa River lodge. It is in Naivasha. The place has a wide array of wild animals and there is some little nicely built huts with no doors and windows. The outdoor fee, good ambience and candlelight make it the romantic place of my choice.

What do you passionately aim to achieve as Miss Kenya before the end of your reign?

To make sure that people are knowledgeable about the effects of FGM. I think we are doing it wrong by educating women and girls only and leaving out the Dads while it is them who firmly hold to such traditions and customs. Part of my vision is also champion gender equality and girl child education.

Who or what always puts a smile on your face?

My family, especially my mum. Everyday when I wake up she comes to me and asks what she can do for me. My family means the world to me.

Quick-fire

Chocolate or flowers

Flowers

The beach or the wild

Wild

Good boys or Bad boys

Bad boys

Secretive or open book

Open book

No comments: