Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with Valerie Kimani

Valerie

Fame Reclaimed

Her most favorite place in the world is ‘in a warm embrace’. The winner of the very first Tusker Project Fame, Valerie Kimani takes us through the journey and the eventual emergence of a real star.

Anthony Nabiliki speaks to the fresh face of Afro Soul.

Two years already since 06, when you were announced winner of TPF. Take us back a little. What went through your mind, how did it feel?
Project Fame was more than a ‘project for fame’ for me. The entire experience represented for me a time in my life when I wanted to stop ‘existing’, and start ‘living’. I had been battling a major depression at the time I was auditioning and at the time, felt as though I needed something big enough to sort of shock me into life again, you know? Something bigger than myself, riskier than I could ever imagine. Something I would otherwise never even consider. Something that had the potential to change my life completely, and that ‘something’ was Tusker’s Project Fame. And looking back now, two years on, I got what I wanted, an opportunity to know myself better than I could have in years. An understanding, clarity and strength richer than all my school years put together. And because it was so hard for me to week after week, push on in front of millions of viewers across East Africa, while at the same time fighting my biggest demons yet, I could not have appreciated that win more. I had an intense feeling of gratification. Of deep satisfaction and pride because I had not only overcome a very tough music environment, but also because I had overcome myself. It was my own private victory that I can now share. In public.

Is there any point during the competition when you knew you were clinching it?
This might come as a surprise to you, but I hardly ever thought of the final prize. It wasn’t what I got up every morning thinking about, neither did I stay up late at night strategizing on how to clinch it (laugh). I was too busy trying not to lose my mind. But in the last two weeks I was threatened with an eviction and instantly I knew I was not ready to go home. I felt instinctively that there was still more I could give. And Alvan’s save gave me a second life. Then suddenly there we were in the final week, with nothing more to show that the audience hadn’t already seen, and with the votes already streaming in, and for the first time I relaxed. Thinking that I had already come this far, which is more than I had even imagined. For the first time I flirted with the idea of winning.

Best and Worst moments in the house?
Meal times were good times (laugh). They were times we could let go, not take it all too seriously. Swing, stare out into the open, laugh and tease each other and have boys talk about girls and girls talk about boys, imitate our teachers and just be! Oh but I hated the three minute phone calls from home. It was like being given vanilla ice-cream with caramel topping and being told to have to eat it all in three minutes!

Back to present. There had been loads of taunts in the media circles about you fizzling away after TPF. Now critics have definitely been hushed with the release of BAISKELI. What took you so long?
My first major challenge after the house was to introduce myself to the audience not as Valerie Kimani the person, but as Valerie Kimani the artist. I felt as though I owed it not only to those who voted for me, but also to myself to choose a direction of music that was as true to myself as possible. That demanded of me my time, my focus and all my strength and concentration. I simply could not afford to break off from that ‘trance’ in order to jump and react to every accusation and remark that critics made regarding my abilities as a musician. Granted it rubbed some people up the wrong way when I backed away from the lime light for a while, but to me it was more important to focus on making good music. I had to trust that my work would speak a more powerful language than any word I could speak. Because it’s a legacy that speaks to more than one person at once. And if it’s any good, it doesn’t stop talking. Why the record took nine months? I suppose that is how long my ‘pregnancy’, music pregnancy that is, needed to mature and come to its full expression. A day sooner and it would have been premature, a day after and it would have been late. In the house, one has to live by the rules of the house to survive. Outside the house it’s a whole different ball game. And in order to survive, one has to be true to who they are, to choose which rules to live by and which ones to discard. Because at the end of the day, you are no longer a player in a television game, you are a real person, with real decisions to make that will affect your ‘real’ life.

Why the name BAISIKELI?
Baisikeli began as a title to a song on my record. A simple song about simple things in life like the love a girl finds in a simple man on a bicycle. Then it began to mean more than that to me. Baisikeli began to represent a way of life, the way I wanted to live life, or at least the way I had led it while making this record. Slowly, taking in all the dust, the sunshine, the rain. Falling off sometimes and getting back up. All the while heading to this beautiful place that was my final destination. Baisikeli summarises my entire experience, and what a ride!

You must have had a great time recording the album. How was it working with all those great names down in SA and here at home?
I worked with some phenomenal people whose musicianship I really respect. People like Kassongo wa Kanema of Super Mazembe, Rocky Bila of Bilenge Musica, Jack Odongo from African Heritage, Eric Wainaina, Kanjii Mbugua, Winyo, Tim ‘ennovator’ Rimbui, Mafikizolo and Joe Nina in South Africa, First Love and Maurice Kirya in Uganda… I really cast my net out, so to speak. I decided I was going to go all out and create a record that was worth adding to someone’s personal collection. And I haven’t even mentioned all the brilliant musicians who played on my record like Isaac Mugunda from Kenya and Funky who was part of a classic group in South Africa called ‘Harare’ both of whom have mastered their guitar strings with exceptional excellence. It was as though I stumbled on all these legends, but I’d rather believe the whole world was conspiring to help me achieve what I had set out to. And what a thrilling experience it was. Everyone brought something new to the table. Each one had their own energy and source of inspiration. And I drew so much from all these different pools of genius. I’ll never forget for instance the simplicity with which Kassongo composed, the depth in Eric’s writing, the perfection in Tim’s work, the raw creativity around Kanjii, Winyo’s bird-like vocals lacing over mine and the massive music experience which Theo of Mafikizolo brought. I could not have asked for a better experience on a debut album.

Maturity, musical diversity and raw energy, that’s how I would describe BAISIKELI, Tell us about the album?
I love that description! Baisikeli is a typically Valerie album which captures all my wide musical influences as a Kenyan living a highly cosmopolitan society, but with an easy sound that can be listened to in whichever corner of the world. It’s a reflection of my own mix of ethnic and urban in both the writing and the style. It captures my quiet intimate side as easily as it captures my soulful bare expression.

Any personal-favorite track in the album? You must have one or two.
Oh yes, definitely, nguga ii always calms me, and ndoto yangu makes me want to sing at the top of my voice and do a silly dance.

I presume BAISIKELI does a great job of capturing the essence of Valerie. I speak no Spanish but to me Besame Mucho really stands out. Are you a romantic?
Let’s see… I enjoy relationships thoroughly. The mess and the grime of it. The hopeless vulnerability and the deep satisfaction. The mystery, the rush, when you think of each other at the same time… so that would be a yes. A hopeless one right?

Let’s put you on the spot, any guy in your world relating to Besame Mucho at a more personal front?
(Laughs) you mean who’s ‘kissing me much’? I’d tell you, but my parents are going to read this… (Laugh)

You are doing your final year in campus, degree in Mass Communication. Couple that with Music and it adds up to long strenuous days. What’s your recipe for balancing all that?
It’s delicate, you’re right, but I’ve got different options in terms of timing so that when I’m in school I know it will be for this long and for this number of hours. Once this is sorted my business manager takes care of slotting in my music appointments and shows around that time. He is in constant communication with my record company so that everyone is kept in the loop.

I know music takes the cake for you, so what intrigued you to get into Mass Communication?
When I completed my high school in Kianda, my grades showed me clearly where my strengths were. I got straight As in the arts and languages, Cs in all things science…(laugh) So I was not confused about my decision to be in the creative world. There were many options but all too restrictive I felt. Mass Communication gave me the space to stretch my creative arms because it offered courses in photography, in radio, in advertising, in film… Sounded like heaven. So even now, as I stand on the music stage, the course remains relevant.

As a songwriter, what inspires you?
I am inspired by stories I hear of people dreaming dreams, wanting to be better. Listening to people’s quiet ambitions. I am inspired by greatness and by the freshness of new ideas. I am inspired by the rawness of human emotion that is the same the world over and yet is expressed so differently. Words inspire me. They have such power to inspire, to stir hearts, to heal.

When you weigh-up the Kenyan Music scene, what aspects of it would you thrust aside and what would you encourage?
I would thrust aside the notion that foreign music is superior to ours, that any music can be superior to another is an absurd notion. I would definitely encourage artists to take more creative risks with their music.

Your most memorable time on stage?
Sharing the stage with a 3 time Grammy nominated Canadian born singer called Michael Buble on his South-African tour where I sang my little songs to a roaring crowd of 20,000 people.

Your most embarrassing moment on stage?
When I sang those same little songs here at home at a show last year and instead of roaring there was booing. Although that didn’t embarrass me as much as it saddened me.

If you could meet or work with one artist internationally and locally, who would it be and why?
Internationally, I would love to meet Aretha Franklin. I idolize her like a child idolizes her mother. She’s my soul godmother. Closer home, I’d love to experience Richard Bona and his fresh unconventional approach to music.

What fascinates you more, live Performances or studio recording?
Each have their own fascinations, at a live performance, my right-brain is in full gear. I have so much fun working with my absolutely fresh band and the ability to transform into anyone I want to be gives me such a thrill. Studio experiences fascinate my left brain. I love the details, the mechanics, the arrangement…

Tusker Project Fame 2 has just kicked-off, any wise do’s and don’ts to the contestants?
Oh definitely. Project Fame provides a tremendous opportunity to be seen and to be known, so do take advantage of it. Living your dream is not defined by what position you come, but by what you do with the opportunities given to you. Do not be afraid to express yourself, whether or not people approve, it is what an artist is called to do.

Your album is already setting trends regionally, being distributed in Europe by Warner Records among other accolades. That’s a high bar you’ve set for yourself. How do you aspire to keep it tops?
I can’t describe to you what a great feeling it is to walk through one door of opportunity and find another one waiting to be opened. It’s exciting to be able to play my part in sharing our music with the world. So I’ll just keep dreaming my dreams when I go to sleep and keep waking up to achieve them. Who knows what greater things lie behind those doors we are afraid to walk through.

Now that you are gradually building a cult following, do people come up to you for autographs, or occasionally get hit-on by strange folks?
Nothing gives me more pleasure than to be able to personalize my record, a t-shirt or even a little piece of paper for those who support me. It inspires me because I connect with them instantly. It’s their way of saying I appreciate you and it’s my way of saying I appreciate you too. Whether I’m at the airport in Durban or in a restaurant in Mombasa, appreciation feels the same. So good! Do I get hit on by strange folks? Yes, but I owe that to facebook.

Life is about transitions. From lining up for the auditions to churning out a fantastic debut album, what are the major differences between the Valerie then, and the Valerie now?
Valerie’s deepest fear then, when she began, was that she was inadequate. Her deepest fear now, is that she is powerful beyond measure.

QUICK FIRE

Who do you turn to in a crisis?
My inner circle.

What makes you angry?
Unreasonable people.

Your most annoying habit
Completing my best friends’ sentences.

Most favorite place in the world
In a warm embrace.

You are most proud of?
My debut album- Baisikeli

3 things that bring a smile anytime?
The toothless grin of a child, when my baby sister uses big words, and something else that I can’t say… (Laugh)

All time favourite song
Too much heaven by the BeeGees

No comments: