Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with Tallia oyando


Tallia

My World, My Lexis

You might use lots of the same words to describe Tallia. You can croon and hum through sexy, beautiful, talented, debonair, … but I bet shy won’t make your list, though it comes first on Tallia Oyando’s own. Meet the young lady who spices your afternoons on Easy FM, as she opens up about her love for family, Music, Radio and the man in her life. She speaks to HFM’s Anthony Nabiliki

Most people know you as Tallia the musician and Easy FM presenter, in your own words, tell us who Tallia really is?
Tallia is very shy, extremely shy is an understatement actually. But I have my moments when I just let go

How did radio come to happen for you?
I initially came into Nation group as an intern. When my internship ended I had be-friended the guards who actually thought I still worked there. So I would turn up everyday and people would wonder what I was still doing at Nation. One day during the top ten till ten show, the presenter had gone on leave. So as I was organising music for the show I just put up the mic and started talking… I was so scared. The next day Bob Kioko, the then Programmes Controller, told me he was listening and he’d noted that I had potential. The rest is history.

Owing to your Dad Maurice Oyando, being a renowned producer, you must have gotten exposed to music at a very early stage in your life, would you say your involvement in music was inevitably destined?
Yes. I was born into music and I don't regret a single bit, because right now I’m doing what I love.

You've had some stint on TV, (Showbiz on NTV and MC'ing for MTV base), Ever felt hard-pressed to make the ultimate switch to screen?
I really wouldn’t mind doing both

You guys bagged an Emmy back in 01 with 'Say Yes For Children'; take us back to those moments?
Back then I was like…Emmy? Is that big? No… really what kind of award is that? then later on as I researched I found out that in actual fact big people win Emmys, from the likes of Bono and many others. Plus we were nominated alongside people from the US, Europe and virtually all over the world, and at that time I was sitting for my exams. I tell you that is my biggest achievement to date I’m very proud of it.

Of all the artists you've had a chance to work with, whom did you enjoy working with the most?
I’ve enjoyed working with each and everyone of them. Its always-fun being in the studio, everything from the writing, the joking around everyone’s been great

You've accomplished relatively much so young, do you allow yourself to look back and point out some moments of regret?
For me, I live my life everyday like it’s my last; I might not be here tomorrow, so I don't ponder on the regrets. Anything bad that's happened has occurred for a reason and that influences the next thing. So I leave everything in Gods hands.

Who's supported you the most?
My family. I’d also say Nikii, cause she is one of my closest friends and she is always there for me to talk to when I’m going through my numerous dramas. My boyfriend too, when I wanted to give up he put his life and career on line just to help me follow my dreams and I’m greatful.

For you, are there any downsides to being a star?
The stalkers are always there! There is this one time I woke up and was walking to the kitchen when I saw some guy sitting at my dinning table claiming I was his wife and had left him in the middle of the night. I was so scared but since I had experienced a similar incident in the past, I had some cop’s number on my cell and I immediately called him and it was like a scene right from 24. I moved!

What would effortlessly bring you happy tears?
A cure for Aids. I know it sounds cliché but honestly when I think of the victims, the babies especially, it brings me to tears.

What or whom do you treasure the most in life?
That's hard I can’t put anyone before the other. So I’ll say my family and my Baby Goldenchyl (Andre)

Word is that you are really into reggae music, is there any chance of you belting out a reggae tune anytime soon?
I have already done a couple and I’m still doing more

What would I find in your CD collection?
Bob Marley, Ritchie Spice, GC, Shaggy, Beyonce, Nikii, just to name a few

In Tallia's world, Sexy is...?
Sexy is being confident with yourself. Never, ever imitate.

The “talk of the town couple” is Goldenchyl and yourself, mind telling us how you guys met?
Long story but we did meet and that's all I can say about it. There have been lots of stories going around about how we met and I laugh sometimes when I hear them.

What is exceptional about him?
He is hard working and he is always doing things for us. I never hear him say "I" its always "us" or "our" he loves me, I know he does I love him too. I’m not afraid to say so whether its used against me or not and his family and mine are very happy with our relationship.

What stands out for you, the physical aspect of a relationship or the companionship?
The companionship. I think the inner person is what I look at, not the amount of money he has, what he wears, who he knows… etc. But I look to the future… Will this person be there for me through thick or thin?

How forgiving would you be if you found out that your man was cheating on you? Walk away. Because when it happens once, there’s a huge problem in that relationship. Why did it happen? It did because of his issues not mine. So I would simply walk away

Any musical plans on the grill?
I am currently working on my album. It takes time and I don't want to rush it. I am also doing a couple of collabos with artists in the US and here too.

What is the weirdest thing you've ever been told on air?
Is this magazine PG 18, (laughs) can’t say that. Too hot for print.

Best compliment on air?
Someone called me and told me his wife just had a baby and they named her Tallia and they wanted her to be just like me. I cried.

Showbiz is an undeniably busy lifestyle, what keeps you balanced in life?
Its always hectic but you get used to it I just have sometime aside for just me and then I eat lots of marshmallows, it's a terrible addiction. I watch movies lying on my bed, write and listen to music. I also have a journal, I know its kinda junior high, but I go like… Dear Diary today he… (Laughs) I am such a child inside.

What do you feel that your purpose is, ultimately?
To make a good difference

No comments: