Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies Interview with sheila mwanyigah (NIKKI) (Feb 07)


Sheila Mwanyigha

Beauty and Talent – Intertwined

From a seasoned Musician to a celebrated radio presenter to the beautiful face that graced our TV screens during the recently concluded Tusker Project fame reality TV show. Her glamorous career speaks volumes about her and her appealing personality and stunning self has made loads of us fall in love with her. Meet Sheila Mwanyegha otherwise known as Nikki, as she speaks to Anthony Nabiliki of HFM on her love for Music, Radio and the smooth and rough moments she’s had to go through in her continuing journey to success. Plus her take on Valentines Day as she shares her memorable moments during this month of love.

Is there a distinct difference between Sheila Mwanyigha and Nikki? As crazy as it may sound, yes there is a difference between the two personalities. Sheila is very shy, very grounded and very focused. She is the logical one that always has a plan. Nikki is like quicksilver. Very passionate about the music, creative, driven, easily bored and dramatic at times.

You are one of the hottest divas in East Africa right now. Why do you think people are so fascinated by you? I suppose it’s the classic case of the girl-next-door who set out to follow her heart. Granted, my journey has not been a walk in the park, but whose life is easy when all is said and done? I think people can relate with who I am and the things I have gone through. Always pressing on, despite the adversities.

Tell us what is simmering at the moment for Nikki on the musical front. I have just completed work on my second album. For most people this will be my first. I had worked on an album a few years ago, but it never saw the light of day. This time round I am excited and keen to share what I have been working on for close to two years now.

How did you come to be a radio presenter?It was a classic case of being in the right place at the right time. I had an interview with Caroline Mutoko while she still worked at Capital FM concerning the first enhanced CD that was done in East Africa. It was a UNEP ROA sponsored song and video (The Earth Song) to create awareness on the need to clean the Nairobi River. After the interview, she asked me to chat with some guys who were setting up a radio station. I did the following day, and got called to Lion Place for an interview. There were all these big radio names there with huge elegant CVs and I showed up with just my personality. The meeting with the PC at the time lasted about twenty minutes, and it ended with him asking what show I would like to host, and to report to work the following week for training. After 4 days of training Kiss FM went on air, and my radio career has gone from strength to strength. In the space of 6 years I was appointed acting Programmes Controller for Easy FM.

If you had to pick one thing between Music and Radio, what would it be? That would be very difficult as my two personalities flourish in the two different fields. It’s a choice I hope I never have to make.

You have been in the local music scene for a while now; do you think the industry has come of age? There is much to be happy about. I think there are more women actively involved in not just being on stage, but running sections of the industry. Kenyan music has been bashed and knocked but the musicians have learned to become tougher. And you have to be tough to survive in this industry no matter where you are in the world. There has been more interest in Kenyan music from the world as the years go by, and more appreciation by a majority of true Kenyan music lovers. Kenyan music and music videos can be heard and viewed in international media which is a long way from what was there before. Yet with these changes some things still need to be sorted. Piracy has not been dealt with to allow musicians the ability to earn decent money from album sales. Copyright laws also need to be enforced to protect musicians and their works.

Do you base your songs on your everyday personal experiences? Yes I do. Our unique experiences are actually universal in nature.

If asked to name five top musicians in the country at the moment, who would be lucky to fall on your list Achieng Abura, Atemi, Kanji, Nameless

Point out for us some of your musical highlights as well as down times? Highlights: Hmm, singing at my father’s funeral three years ago and at my aunt’s funeral in November last year. The two always loved to hear me sing. It was difficult, but I will always remember feeling such happiness afterwards. I was especially thrilled to be the only solo female Kenyan singer to be nominated for two Channel O awards in Johannesburg last year, winning the Best R&B artiste at the Kisima awards and finally, the release of my new album! Downtime: Not being able to release my first album. After completing the second one, I can see such a difference in the two and it would have been great to share that difference and growth with the fans.

Among all the songs you’ve done, which one stands out as your most favourite? Each of the songs has its own life and it’s very difficult to pick my favorite one. They cover different emotions and experiences that have all defined me. Stylistically I would say ‘Fool For You’. Musyoka and I recorded it one evening and later he stripped the song completely and then rebuilt it around my vocals. It’s just awesome.

Music, Radio, Studio 53 – that’s a lot to handle at the same time. What do you do to ease off the stress? I hardly have much of a social life and it’s been even tougher coming off the Tusker Project Fame reality show. It was 7 weeks of working everyday. Monday to Friday at Easy FM and then Saturday and Sunday at the Tusker Academy. I hope to get back to the things that I love so dearly. Yoga and gym work. It’s been hard finding the time, but for my own health and peace of mind I will.

What is the best pick-up line that has ever been tried on you and did it work? I just got paid and I would like to take you out! Yup…

What do you detest the most? People who try to control others. These very same people are often very selfish and incapable of being honest.

What does Valentines Day mean to you? It’s like a benchmark to evaluate the past twelve months. Have you shown love, have you appreciated those who mean the most to you? If not, then it serves as a starting point to be more loving everyday. To be supportive and to have much to look back on come next February 14th.

Who would you be spending this Valentines Day with? Family.

Describe to us your most memorable Valentines Day? Trying to juggle three dates in one evening. I don’t know what on earth made me think I could handle it, but after eating Chinese and French dinners (!) I got home for date number three to find him peeing on my father’s favourite flowers. Date number two has probably never forgiven me for that, seeing as date number three insisted on shaking hands (without washing them). However if he is ever curious to know, date number three never happened. I spent most of the night sanitizing my hands!!!!

What’s your most favorite day of the week and why? Friday! For obvious reasons

What completely turns you off in a man? Horrible teeth and breath, bad nails, poor skin, ill fitting clothes, bad shoes, body odor situations, self esteem issues, lies, pride, jealousy, scrub mentality and a host of others that could keep a girl single for the rest of her life.

Who or what is your main source of strength? God. Many times I find I can not reach anyone, not even family and I think God does that, to not just my-self but all of us, to remind us how fragile we are. Only He can be with you and understand you and help you 24-7.

What do you aim to score by the next five years? A successful music career and setting up my own company to handle a few things I would like to try and set right.

What makes you happy? Work well done.

HFM Quick fire

Talker or Listener Listener.

Chocolate or Ice Cream. Ice Cream.

Silk or Lace lingerie this valentines Both.

Gold or Silver Gold.

Taken or Single Hmmmm…

No comments: