Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with NAMELESS


Nameless..

Riding High


One of the finest and well known artists in the country. Dropping hit after hit, superb stage performances and always keeps a clear head at what he does. Award winning artist Nameless, speaks to HFM’s Anthony Nabiliki on his consistency, Family and future plans.

You’ve probably been asked this a million times... where did the name NAMELESS come from?

Make that two million times (laughs) Nameless came from an artiste just trying to make a name. Before then I was trying to get an identity that would stand out. When I finally got my break into the industry and was asked who I am… I had no answer. So it just popped up… I said Nameless and it stuck. That actually was around the same time I got my recognition and acceptance.

It’s been a long journey since the days of megarider, what do you think gives you the consistency?

Immediately I got into music, I started looking at it not only as music but also as a business. I told myself if this is what I want to do and I enjoy doing then it has to be sustainable. I am never in a rush. I think very carefully before I let anything out, because once you let it out you cannot pull it back in. I look at myself as a full time musician, not something I do as a hobby on the side... guess that’s what keeps me firm and consistent.

You had a problem with South African group, Jamali what is the development so far?

It is still going on, the complexity of it being down South as opposed to Kenya and all that, makes it not as simple as one would think. There are some technicalities in world copyright laws in terms of cover. Although those guys covered the songs, there are some things they didn’t do that they were required by law to have done. For us to get the maximum benefit from it we got a lawyer on that side who keeps us abreast on the developments and the best way forward. As at the moment they admitted to a few things but now it’s a matter of what the compensation is going to be. I have learnt a great deal from the whole situation.

Lots of big career moments you’ve had, point out to us the most memorable.

The one that immediately comes to mind is when I won a Channel O Music Award for best male music video. Being recognized among major artists all over Africa was a big moment. I totally didn’t expect it and it gave me renewed energy and psych. Being nominated for the MTV awards in Denmark back in 06 is also very memorable. Sharing the red-carpet with the biggest names in world music… WOW! Also when am on stage doing my thing and getting people to feel my music… I experience my great moments because there is always a new feeling.

Kaz once told me that when the nerves and Jitters stop, that is when you stop and get out of the game, Do you still get jitters on stage?

I still get the nerves… because there is a constant unknown factor. It is always a new experience, new venue, new crowd. Its nerve raking but it gives that adrenaline and psych. Whenever I go on stage without that adrenaline, then I know I’m not giving it my all. I perform better when I’m a bit tensed… when I jump on stage and get into the trance... All the nervousness or any prior pain I had just disappears.

Are you superstitious in any way... do you have your “before performance” thing?

There are some do-rugs and hand band that I particularly wear before getting on stage. I feel like they are my good luck things, but I am not superstitious. When I wear those it feels like donning an amour ready for war... same way Clark Kent switches to Superman.

Is it hard breaking into the music industry in Kenya

Yes… most definitely. It has its easy times and hard times. When we were starting off like ten years ago it was very hard because there were not enough radio stations, only KBC. When the FM stations came in all over sudden there was a boom… open floodgates. So if you had music that had good melody and you were singing on key, then they would play your music and it became easier for guys to get in. Later on… I don’t know why, the media began to be overly critical; comparing us to international artists… not giving guys a chance to grow. Not understanding that our industry, our culture is different from even our neighboring Tanzania and Uganda. It has now become hard for artist to get into the industry because of lack of enough support from media and also the corporate world that are overly sensitive to what the media says. They should understand that showbiz is about flash, controversy, news, excitement and lots of hype. I must add thought that artists are also partly to blame.

A professional musician a qualified architect a dad and a husband, is there any existence of “me time” in your life

I consider music as ‘me time’ because I enjoy doing it. My wife and I started a company called Alternative Concepts, that does production, basically visual production on things based on social issues… using our backgrounds in music. We’ve just gotten into it and it’s picking up now. Its all about looking on the alternate side of what we have, what would make someone stop and say “hmmm, interestingly different”.

How is it being a dad?

It’s really nice. It is a great, amazing experience. Watching her grow and learn everyday. Sometimes I travel and come back after about a week and find that she knows more words and has learned more stuff. In our house there is constantly some music playing, could be from the TV, from Wahu, from me; so sometimes I come home and find her holding a microphone… singing or dancing. Yeah… I don’t know what she’ll grow up to be, but she is very musical. She is also interested a lot in what she sees, she is social and very curious. It is a great feeing just watching her develop her character and grow.

Life in the limelight is hectic as it is; your whole family is in the limelight, how do you cope with it?

It’s definitely hard especially for me because I am an introvert in an extroverted career. So I have to work twice as hard to master that energy to go on stage or to a party.

What do you think is the biggest misconception about you?

Many people say I feel too good. As an artist people kind of expect you to be smiling continuously. When you try and inject some professionalism in this industry especially now that it is growing, it can be misconceived as being arrogant. My mum always told me that “you can never please everyone”… that helps me especially now in my career.

Any possibility of a collabo ... You and Wahu?

I have been asked that quite a number of times, but I try to be as unpredictable as possible… that way you keep people interested in what you do. I’d say we’ve even worked on something but it is all about timing. Right now she is building her own brand as Wahu and I am building my own brand. When we find that we are powerful and strong enough then maybe we can put something out... when people least expect it.

Which among your hits stands out as your most favorite?

It is said that someone’s songs are like his own kids… there is no favorite. All my songs have played different roles in my career. Sometimes I record a song not to be a hit per-say but for people to understand a different side of me. Alternatively I might be targeting a group of people whom I want to pull into my fan-base. All my songs have changed my life and career in their own unique ways, which I have appreciated.

Future plans?

I have my second album coming out hopefully this month. I am looking to see how I can push myself into the whole of Africa. My struggle is to understand the African psyche and get a song that crosses over the whole continent. That is the only way someone can reach the level of selling millions of copies.

No comments: