Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with Jimwat


They call me JIMWAT!

I am just being me…

A protege of Calif records, Jimwat made a major shake with his hit single “Kumbe ni under 18”. With only four years in the industry, his apparent maturity in the game is clear as he now sharesthe spotlight with other bigwigs in the industry. He has a chat with Anthony Nabiliki

Starting out

I started out back in high school, which was around 2004-05. We used to do a lot of freestyling with my friends and they loved my style. Not only them but also bullies who would come up to me and demand some lines. Basically in a way, rapping got me out of bully-trouble in high school. After school, I heard about Clemo and Calif records over the radio. I called them up and was invited for an audition. They checked out my style and liked it. That is when I churned my first single, “sema nami sweetie”, back in 05. After that I did “Paulina” with Raptors, presently of P-Unit. At this point I started doing my Solo joints fully. First testing the market with “ Dame anakaa Poa”

Bad-boy or just not cowed by controversy?

What I can say is that I am real. I might come off as a bad boy at times or a good-holy guy at other times, but at the end of the day I am just being real. In most cases I might do a thing or two, but when it reaches a point where someone gets his own ideas about me, then that is up to them. As long as I don’t rub my fans the wrong way, I respect myself. Negative comments don’t deter my strive.

“Kumbe ni Under 18” – true story or just another single?

In my part it wasn’t a true story… but it was a true story from my buddy’s side. I refer to my music as Edutainment; which is education and entertainment fused in one. With this particular single I tried to relate to my friend’s story in an edutainment kind of way. The track itself is entertaining but there’s some wisdom to be derived from it. For instance, an underage girl can get into a club relatively easier than a guy, making herself easy prey to the hawks in there. So the message is threefold, the guy is advised not to take unfair advantage, the girl is advised to take it slow, and your friends, if they are good friends will scold you for; as they say in law, “defiling a minor.” And you know what, the song actually had some positive impact. I discovered that through my own research

Most favorite of all your songs?

That will take me back to “Under 18”, that is the song that heled me build a heavy fan-base. Many people related to and liked it.

Essential for a Kenyan artist today?

For starters, you have to be real. Then you have to have your own uniqueness. You can put across the same message as another artist but you should be able to do this in our own way. You have to sell yourself through your name.

Lacking in the Kenyan Music scene?

The Copyright Society of Kenya should just wake up. What we are doing is a business and we need the government to support us fully, not just minimally. That is what is lacking.

What inspires your music?

Everyday life situations

Any artists you admire?

The late Tupac Shakur, he was a lyricist per excellence. I also like Kanye West; he’s proved that he has a style to look out for.

Does music pay your bills?

Yes it does. As long as you are serious with your Music, you will earn sufficiently from it. I pay my college fees through music. But I would encourage more corporate entities to invest through artists.

Highs and lows in your career?

It is a fact of life that you can’t reach a high before experiencing a low, but I don’t dwell on lows in life. My first great moment was listening my first single playing on radio. Another one was the “under 18” single. I released it on a Wednesday and did my first performance the following weekend, those few days were enough to make people sing along with me… it was my biggest high.

Embarrassing moment on stage

There’s this one day I went on stage and forgot wearing my belt. So during the whole performance I had to secure my trouser with my hand. As I hoped and prayed for the show to end faster, the crowds demanded for more. It was crazy

Special someone in your life?

Yes, I am very much in love, with a very special someone

5 things you look for in a lady?

She should be…God fearing, Descent, have hot legs, be funny and not be goofy in bed.

What is the future for Jimwat?

I can’t predict my future.. but I am depending on my blessings to be the best storyteller in Kenya. I don’t aim that far. I am in Kenya and here is where I want to make a big notable mark.

Final words to your fans out there?
Put God first in everything that you do and do what you do to the best of your ability.

No comments: