Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with janet mbugua

Let’s Go Safari

The Janet Way

Behind the pretty smile is a girl who can become quite shy at times, loves high heels, her favorite colour is Black, her favourite delicacies are African and Mediterranean cuisines and she looks up to Beautiful, Bold, Black women. That is Janet Mbugua for you. The presenter of the best Travel show on TV, KTN’s Out and About. She speaks to Anthony Nabiliki of HFM on her love for travel, her love for life and her ambitions.

Most people know you as that beautiful and sexy girl that takes us on an onscreen safari on Out and About; tell us a bit about yourself?
I am really unpredictable and very spontaneous. I enjoy getting to know people; I enjoy hanging out with friends and making new ones. I am also a fine cross between an introvert and an extrovert. I like to have fun and basically enjoy life - Always gliding with the flow.

How did you come to be the presenter of the best T.V Travel show in the country?
Luck… it was out of pure luck you won’t believe it. I was in Malaysia then came back in Nov. Due to a couple of issues I could not continue with my studies there. So I told myself, fine… I have to settle down at home and look for something to do. I had worked for Capital FM back in 2003 as a presenter for the mid morning show. So I was thinking if I should go back there or spread my wings to something more than radio. I just sort of gave my details to KTN and left it at that, actually not expecting to hear from them for the next six months or so. That same afternoon I get a call from KTN saying, “yeah, we received your details, are you ready to start in two weeks?” I was shocked, but two to three weeks later I was on the road doing Out and About. I still don’t believe that story. A mix of luck and blessings and here I am.

You must be loving your job
I enjoy my job more because when we were young, my parents took us to Mara, Nanyuki, Malindi and many other beautiful places. So I grew up loving travel. Waking up to the sight of elephants and buffaloes. When I travel it melts my heart, because I really love animals and the wild. I just wish more Kenyans take the chance to go around more.

Of all the places in Kenya that you’ve had the opportunity to visit, and I know the list is long, which stands out as the most romantic and why?
I will have to go with Tsavo West. The sunsets and sunrise… so beautiful I cant even describe how gorgeous they are. It is out there in nice seclusion, no interruption. It’s just the best place to take someone special and get away from the crazy stuff that happens in the city.

Best travel tip for a chic going into the wild?
Don’t get bothered about getting dirty; just go with an open mind, wanting to have fun. Because if you go thinking.. ‘Oh I feel achy..’ you will suck the fun out of the experience. That is the fittest attitude to hit the wild with. but in terms of what to wear, don’t go on in a mini skirt. Thorns on thighs? You don’t want to experience that. Dress comfortably and don’t hold back in having fun.

Some tens of thousands of guys are dying to hear a resounding NO! Are you hooked up?
I am not and I have my reasons… they might be crazy, but if I start explaining, that might keep us here past sunset.

Okay I won’t ask why, but if there was one what would make him qualify?
I’d use the word ‘easy’ for lack of better vocabulary… but most of all he should be confident; should accept me for who I am – because I can be a bit too complex at times but I don’t mean any harm; someone who gets that I am trying to do my own thing to get as much as I can in life. Both of us live our lives giving each other that needed support. A guy who is mature and intelligent. And don’t try and control me because then… we’ll fight. I also like guys who can hold their end in conversation.

When you really wonna pull off a sexy look, what would you wear?
A lesso…(laughs) just kidding. Something funny about me is that I go with phases. I don’t really need to show flesh, to feel like I am sexy. I like something that is really comfortable and different. Sometimes when I wear a really long skirt, well fitting, with a nice well fitting top and some Africanised accessories, I feel sexy. Its not too over the top, its very supple, its laid back but it is also very classy. So when I really wonna feel good, actually in a strange way…I cover up.

What would be your perfect day?
Wake up, watch the sunrise, then not in a particular order; thrown in some shopping there, get together with family and friends. Spend some time with people in society who are not as fortunate. I find that very fulfilling. At least learning from someone and giving back. I love coffee dates and cocktails, that is how my evening would end.

When would you say you are at your strongest point?
When I have some ‘me time’. That is when I am at my strongest point because I can make my own decisions without any outside influence. Unfortunately though my ‘me times’ are quite seldom. But the moment I get some time to myself, I utilize it to the fullest.

Have you ever felt the pressure to emulate someone else’s success?
I think that is where people get it all wrong. You can look up to someone and say, eventually I’d like to be like that, but you should achieve it in your own way. Personally, being new to this whole industry, I am learning much and really enjoying it as I go along. I look up to other people, for example Zain Vergee, Halle Berry or Oprah, and I think to myself, I’d like to be there someday. But let me go about it my own way, let me not try and copy them.

You obviously feel like having some real fun off-screen, how do you spoil yourself?
I would probably treat myself to something really mellow like a massage. I also enjoy spending time with people close to me, it kind of relaxes me. People who make you remain grounded. Once in a while I let loose and hang out with friends. It is hard for a guy to understand a girls night out. But just going out and letting your hair down, dancing, singing, socializing, not caring about a thing, treading into a space where no negativity counts, that’s how I loosen up.

What else intrigues you apart from TV and travel?
Music definitely. I studied music back in high school and I did voice as an instrument. I used to sing jazz because my voice is kind of heavy. I also love to write poetry and short stories. I wake up one day and decide to write about a girl who is going through some issues in her life, give her a name and a story. I can write for as long as six hours even if it means waking up in the middle of the night. I guess that’s just how my mind works. I am also into theatre and movies. I am quite an artsy person.

Talking about music, what’s your favourite?
When I look at the music scene, like when I watch MTV Base and see artistes like Kaysha, Angélique Kidjo, Lady Jay Dee, Femi Kuti, that to me is African music and I love it. There is a strong African feel and background in the rhythm and the beat. I also listen to a lot of oldies. When I say old, I am not joking, it goes way back to Nat King Cole. Motown is also one of my all time favorites, including Marvin Gaye and The Commodores. Guess I’ve got an old soul. But also love R & B especially because today’s R & B is not as drab as it used to be with singers such as Ne-yo and Omarion upping the beat a little more.

If you had to change one thing about yourself or your past, what would that be?
I would have listened to my parents more, now that I realize that they know best. Back then I didn’t and made some pretty bad decisions. I was very stubborn and a very serious rebel when I was aged between sixteen and 21. But I can’t also say that I have regrets because everything in life contributes in leading to where you are presently.

What is your ultimate ambition?
To try and be a part of change in society. There is too much room to enlighten and empower people, which I don’t think is being fully utilized. I want to pioneer a community project when the time is right. Career-wise I just want to take it to the highest. I don’t look too far ahead but prefer taking each day as it comes. I want to own an Afrowear boutique. I never thought this would come my way, hosting Out and About, the best travel show in Kenya, so who knows what else could be out there.

Quick fire
Talker or listener
More of a listener
Scary or Comedy
Comedy
Candy or Chocolate
Both
Meat or Vegetarian
Meat
The Beach or the Wild
Torn in between

No comments: