Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tonnies interview with harry kimani

Harry Kimani is one of the most prolific and immensely talented singers the country has seen in this day and age. Widely known for his ingenuity on the guitar, the musician is enjoying a vibrant musical career with three albums under his belt and the fourth one currently in production. He lets us in on his road to stardom and take on general life. He speaks to Anthony Nabiliki

For how long have you been in the musical scene?
I started playing the guitar at the age of 5 that was about 20 years ago. But I got into the scene professionally in 1999 after completing my high school education

Where do you derive your inspiration when you write your music?
My Inspiration comes from the day-to-day incidences and by watching other people’s lives and experiences

Tell us about your new album?
It is my third album and its called Tuishi mi Na we. It has 10 tracks which are all my self compositions and was produced professionally in the Netherlands. It is the fastest album I have ever produced as it only took 8 hours of studio time, which is a record of its kind in Holland

What can you say have been your most uphill moments as a musician?

The initial stages of my career were the hardest because I was still unknown and had not developed the IMAGE of a musician. As we all know, people tend to judge a book by its cover, it was very challenging. It was also hard to convince my parents that music was going to be my life, considering that my mother is a businesswoman and my dad a banker

Does an R&B crooner like yourself believe in love at first sight?
I do not believe that at all. I believe that it is all LUST at first sight which usually ends up disastrously, because you did not take the time to know each other before calling it love.

What type of girl can totally grasp your heart? I am talking prospective wife.
A girl with fairly good looks, a clear conscience, motherly, must be a great cook, intelligent and wise and respectful to all human beings, be they young or old

Have you ever cried yourself to sleep over a relationship?
YES. My first girlfriend’s dad said he was going to kick ma ass if I ever went near his daughter again. I was very much in love with her

Is there any special thing about you that people don’t know?
Yes, several actually. I can’t swim, I can only cook eggs, I am a fine artiste who enjoys pencil work. I really fear GOD and love Jesus

Would you mind if your girl went out for a drink with her ex?
Only if she wouldn’t mind if I went out for a drink with my ex. It has to be mutual. It is just a drink, right?

What is the biggest crowd you have ever performed to and how was it?
I once performed in front of 80,000 people who were not conversant with my style of music because of its mellow nature. The second largest consisted 12,000 people. It was the best show I ever did, I could feel the energy and it was part of the movie – UMOJA in the Netherlands

What is your most favorite dish?
My most favourite dish is fish…ha ha … Plus I always enjoy my mum’s peas in carrots and meat, which goes well with chapatis or rice.

If you had the ultimate authority, what would you do to change the local musical scene?
I would discourage any form of music that is morally unacceptable and would tour countrywide in the quest for new talent… I believe there always is new talent out there.

Are you a sports fan? Which sport and why?
Yes I am sorts fan. I love athletics. I enjoy watching and participating in races like the 100M dash. When I watch it, it uplifts me and when I participate in it, I feel the challenge.

You feel your best when you wear?
An Italian Suit. I also like fitting jeans, flat shoes and fitting tops. I also have a liking for bandanas.

Who influenced you most?
Several people, locally I would say Eric Wainaina. Internationally would be Stevie Wonder, Tracy Chapman & Richard Bona. They are all very hard working and timeless.

What are your future plans?
Am planning with help from God, to start a musical empire that will stretch worldwide. Personally, at some point, I wish to settle down and nurture my kids as I watch them grow.

Quick fire

Tall or short girl
Tall

Soccer or Rugby
Rugby

Pro life or pro choice
A bit of both

No comments: